Fri 22 Jul 2011
Tue, 19 July, 2011 04:43
From: “Jess Fernandez”
To: “Deddy HSArifin” , “Dr. Christine Wulandari”
* SEAMEO BIOTROP Thesis Research Grants 2012
Dear Hadi and Christine,
I’m sending here the announcement for the BIOTROP Ph.D. Thesis Grants. Kindly disseminate to our colleagues at IPB and encourage your students to apply. I must apologize for the late sending of the announcement because I have been out of Indonesia for 2 weeks. The deadline for submission of thesis proposals in English will be on 8 August 2011.
Thanks for this kind favor.
SEAMEO BIOTROP Thesis Research Grants for Indonesian PhD Students
The SEAMEO Regional Centre for Tropical Biology invites Indonesian PhD students to apply for thesis research grants for 2012. Five (5) thesis research grants shall be awarded to qualified students through DIPA funding.
Objectives of the Thesis Grant
In general, the awarding of thesis research grants aims to increase the number of qualified human resources in higher learning institutions and government agencies where the grantees are affiliated with the expectation that they would contribute to the development of Indonesia in the area of tropical biology and natural resources management.
The specific objectives are as follows:
1. To provide PhD students the opportunity to work and be mentored by SEAMEO BIOTROP scientists on specific research areas that are mutually of interest to the students, their institutions, and the Centre;
2. To produce quality research outputs related to tropical biology that would have direct application to address development concerns of Indonesia;
3. To maximize the use of facilities and equipments available at SEAMEO BIOTROP for the grantees’ research; and
4. To produce quality research papers for publication.
A PhD student could be eligible to apply for the thesis grant if he/she could satisfy the following requirements:
1. Must be currently pursuing a PhD program in agriculture, forestry, natural resource management, and related sciences from any reputable university in Indonesia.
2. Must have already completed his/her course work with an approved thesis research proposal and is ready to conduct the research.
3. His/Her research topic must focus on any of SEAMEO BIOTROP’s major program thrusts, namely:
a. Pests and Diseases Management,
b. Natural Products and Waste Management,
d. Water Ecosystem and Coastal Zone Management, and
4. Corollary to No. 3, the applicant’s research topic must also have direct implications to the following cross-cutting developmental concerns:
a. Climate change adaptation and mitigation,
b. Food security and safety, and
c. Poverty alleviation.
1. Filled out Application Form
2. Letter of application addressed to: Dr. Bambang Purwantara, SEAMEO BIOTROP Director;
3. Recommendation letter from the Dean of Graduate School of the university where the applicant is pursuing his/her degree program;
4. Thesis research proposal approved by the Advisory Committee and Dean of Graduate School;
5. Budgetary requirement for the entire research not exceeding Rp60,000,000 duly attested and recommended by the major adviser and Dean of Graduate School;
6. Certified transcript of academic records for all courses taken at the PhD level;
7. Curriculum vitae;
8. Letter from the student certifying that he/she is not receiving any other research grant from any other institution. If partial funding has been obtained from other sources, a certification from the funding agency indicating the amount of grant and the items in the research that are covered by the grant; and
9. Research timetable indicating the activities involved in the research, the expected date of defense and expected date of seminar paper presentation.
The deadline for submission of the proposal in English is on 15 August 2011
Applicants are advised to send the complete set of application documents to:
Dr. Jesus C. Fernandez
Deputy Director for Programme and Marketing
Jln. Tajur Raya Km 6, Bogor 16134, Indonesia